BREAKING: Andy Murray to miss Queen’s for first time in 15 years
Andy Murray has withdrawn from this year’s cinch Championships at Queen’s due to an abdominal injury.
The five-time Queen’s champion picked up the injury during the final of Stuttgart on Sunday.
Despite that setback, after facing 2021 Wimbledon finalist Matteo Berrettini in Germany, Murray was positive about his progress.
On pulling out of Queen’s, Murray said: “After having a scan this afternoon, an abdominal injury means I won’t be fit to compete at Queen’s this year.
“The tournament means a lot to me, and it’s disappointing not to compete, especially after playing some good matches on the grass already.”
Tournament director Luiz Carvalho said: “Obviously it’s extremely sad that Andy won’t be able to play here this year.
“Everyone at the cinch Championships wishes him a speedy recovery.
“We look forward to welcoming him back next year.”
While Murray did not play the singles at Queen’s in 2019, he played and won the doubles alongside Feliciano Lopez that year.
That means that for the first time since 2007 Murray will not play the event in any capacity this year.
Earlier in the day, British number two Dan Evans backed the former world number one to be fully prepared for Wimbledon.
He said: “If anybody knows how to prepare for Wimbledon, it’s him.”
Murray has been replaced in the Queen’s draw by lucky loser Denis Kudla, the American taking on Lorenzo Sonego in the first round.
(Photo credit Paul Zimmer)
🎾 Free >> Join our legendary newsletter
🎾 Join >> Receive $700/£600 of tennis gear from the Tennishead CLUB
🎾 Read >> World’s best tennis magazine
🎾 Watch >> How to enjoy ATP/WTA/Slam tennis on TV
🎾 Shop >> Lowest price tennis gear from our trusted partner