Meta has introduced a music-driven monetization feature for creators on Facebook. As per the announcement, Meta now pays a part of its ad revenues to creators whose videos contain music from artists like Post Malone and Tove Lo.
This is a part of Meta’s plans to encourage creators to use legal music within its platforms. Also, the company can tighten its bond with music publishers and reassure them about its adherence to copyright.
Meta has created a library of legal music licensed by the company. Creators can use this library and get a portion of ad revenues. Meta now gives 20 percent of ad revenues to creators. It also keeps the rest of 80 percent for itself and the music rights holders.
Of course, not every video is welcome. The videos must meet certain qualifications. First, they should be at least one minute long, and the primary purpose of the video can’t revolve around the music. Instagram Reels are also excluded from the program.
Meta Shares Ad Revenues With Users Who Use Post Malone’s Music In Their Videos
Meta and its subset platforms have been through many conflicts with music publishers in recent years. Recently, music publisher Kobalt said it wants to remove its 700,000 songs from Facebook and Instagram as its licensing deal with Meta is expired. On Instagram, users find their videos removed from the platform due to copyright infringement.
Kobalt didn’t provide a further explanation but said, “fundamental differences remained that we were not able to resolve in your best interests.”
The Swedish music company Epidemic Sound also sued Meta for illegally using its works within various platforms. The Swedish company claims Meta is using over 1,000 of its works without a license.
“Meta has created tools—Original Audio and Reels Remix—which encourage and allow its users to steal Epidemic’s music from another user’s posted video content and use in their own subsequent videos, resulting in exponential infringements on Meta’s platform, at Meta’s hands,” Epidemic Sound added.
Sharing ad revenues could be a good incentive for creators to use legal music. It also prevents Meta from entering further disputes with music rights holders. Also, the videos that contain unlicensed music will be muted or blocked. The company may even disable the account of repeat offenders.